Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Experience

Hi All,

Welcome to my first post in a long time here to my blog page. From now on, you can come here to check out whatever new postings I put up, and if you subscribe to it, you'll be informed via email when that happens. Technology's a wonderful thing, no?

Or I'll be posting them on the other pages too, so you can continue to read them on myspace, facebook, or whatever suits you best...

Anyhow, to business. As some of you may or may not be aware, I have been living in Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A. for the last 3 months or so, in an attempt to stimulate my writing for my next record, as well as work on lifting my profile and creating an interest in my music stateside. I am pleased to say that both of these aims have met with success so far. I have a great batch of new songs lined up, both ones I have written all by myself, and also some I have co-written with some great Nashville songwriters. For those of you whose alarm bells are currently breaking residential noise restriction limits at the thought I've been writing a bunch of commercial country songs, do not panic. I'm not about to do anything too rash. I'm just trying to write the best damn songs I can, and I have a feeling this next record is going to be my best one yet. If it isn't, well then I just won't make it until I'm convinced it will be. There's no point in taking a backwards step then, is there?

Hmmm. That was a bit confusing. But I think you may get the drift of what I'm saying. Or trying to say, without stumbling over my own metaphors.

Anyway, life in America (pronounced murkah) is grand, and I'm beginning to get used to it now. In fact, I'm kind of having a ball. Nashville has a great music scene, and there's a lot of great Indie rock bands here that I've been seeing and enjoying. Of course, the great elephant in the room of Nashville that I haven't reffered to yet is the country music, and I can tell you there's also a heck of a lot of great Americana and country music to be found as well. I'm trying to soak in what I can and you might just hear it on the next record.

Then again, I may decide at the last second to do a spoken word record detailing and explaining little known but significant achievements in molecular science. That's bound to give my career the kickstart it needs.

I live in the great suburb of East Nashville in the even greater zip code of 37206, made famous by such bumper stickers as "37206 - First it steals your heart, then it steals your lawnmower." True. Not that my lawnmower's been stolen (I don't have one, and you should see my front yard - I think I noticed a Bengal Tiger out there yesterday) but you get the idea.

So, suffice to say, I am going to make a regular sustained attempt from now on at sticking my thoughts, however random, into this blog, and then for those of you who are more interested in my thoughts and experiences, well, you'll have more regular access to them. Well, the ones I want to share, anyway. I'll also stick in gig info and numerous goings in my musical world.

Hope all's going well with everyone. We'll talk again soon.

CP

The Big Star Market sign at Bolivar, Mississippi.

No comments:

Post a Comment